Sunday, August 25, 2013

Simply Sunday #1

Hi!  Happy Sunday!

I'm going to start a tradition that I'll call "Simply Sundays."  Every Sunday, I'm going to try to set aside a bit of time to just reflect back on the week--particularly the things I did (or didn't do) in an effort to simplify my life and that of my family.

To be honest, I had mixed emotions about this brainstorm initially.  Because of my professional life, I've become such a goal-oriented, Type A personality over the years.  Lists can kind of feed that tendency, and discourage me from simplifying. 

We also live in a culture of lists that are given more significance than they actually deserve.  ...It's midnight but I can't go to sleep yet because I haven't crossed off everything on my list.  Your school is #25 on the list, mine didn't even make it, so I'm a loser by comparison.  I'm ranked higher on the list than the guy in the next office; I get a bonus and he gets canned.

With all that, I'm a little wary of lists at times. But still, I'm going to give this tradition a try.  If I don't like how it is going after a while, I'll discontinue.  No prob. 

Right now, however, I do think there can be value in taking a step back to reflect on the week.  It can be insightful and encouraging to remember ways in which voluntary simplicity was integrated into the days that have just past.  After all, the point of this blog is to memorialize the journey as I try to embrace voluntary simplicity in a greater way.

Here goes...

This week my daughters and I were coming home from the grocery store when a voice from the back seat spotted a butterfly.  I pulled the car over in a safe place and we just watched it for a while.  How beautiful!  So fragile.  So precious.  We didn't literally stop to smell the roses.  (We didn't see any.)  But we did it figuratively.

As I'm winding down my responsibilities with my paid gig, there was an unexpected and very frustrating delay that was beyond my control.  This caused a bunch of headaches for me and normally it would have stressed me out a heck of a lot.  But I took it in stride, even put it out of my mind for the most part.  I went about my business without dwelling on the situation.  The quality of my week was greatly improved as a result.

In the middle of the week, I took time out to help my older daughter make her first cake.  I didn't rush the process or fuss when she made a mess.  I just encouraged her and was present to give her guidance.  She was very proud of herself at the end.  We all gave her a round of applause for a delicious dessert.  She seemed to enjoy the kudos.

Later the same day, my younger daughter asked me to color with her.  And I did!  We sat on the floor, plopped the coloring book on the coffee table, and colored with much contentment.  However, I admit I was a little too fast.  I have to remember it is about the journey, not the destination.  Especially when crayons are involved.  It is not a race to see who finished their picture first.  And it doesn't matter if the leaves are fuchsia. 

One more!  I tried out a new vegetarian recipe: carrot soufflé.  It sounds harder than it actually was.  Pretty simple, pretty frugal.  Quite yummy and beautiful!  A hit with the whole family.

Enjoy your Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment