Sunday, September 1, 2013

Simply Sunday #2

Hello!  Here comes the second installment of Simply Sundays. 

The following are some of the things I did (and didn't do) to embrace voluntary simplicity:

I took a first pass through my closets (yes, plural!) to bag up shoes and clothes I don't need.  For my paid gig, I've had so many professional clothes, many of which I wasn't even wearing.  But until now, I never had time to go through what I had to whittle it down to a more manageable amount.

Not only did I pull together a bunch of shoes and clothes, I also took them to donate at a local thrift.  Hopefully, it will help the charity make some money, some buyer will get good use of the items, and it will keep the items out of the landfill for the time being.

I said "no" several times to invitations to participation in church activities.  I actually feel guilty about this, but I carefully considered them and they were not a good fit.  I wouldn't have been all that helpful in those activities, and those commitments would have spread me too thin.

Instead of watching TV before bed, I read books.  I finished one, and have made headways on another.  It is fun to read books I've heard about for so long.

Finally, I attended a free concert with my mom in her retirement community.  One of the residents sang with great gusto a bunch of songs from the 60s and 70s including John Denver, Neil Diamond and Joni Mitchell.  They had an ice cream social and grandma brought sandwiches for me and my daughters.  It was a feast!  We all had a great time.  The finale was "Sweet Caroline," and we all swung our arms in the air in time to the music.  When I'm a retiree, I hope I have as much passion for life as the lovely gentleman who gave the concert.  Though I'm not musically talented, he reminded me of the pure joy of singing.

Hope you are having a terrific Sunday!  Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment